How Do Students Become Successful Mathematicians?
The goal of secondary math is for students to continue to learn to reason abstractly and construct arguments using math.
- Students develop their understanding of mathematical concepts and apply their Reasoning to make connections among and expand their expertise in math disciplines including Geometric Reasoning and Statistical Reasoning.
- As students’ social circles and Math Learning Environment increasingly include peers, they continue to develop their math identities and use Math Communication to flexibly engage and make mathematical arguments.
- With adolescence, student’s Physical Well-being becomes closely linked to their learning as both the body and brain go through a period of growth which offers a key opportunity for learning. As such, it is essential that students can make real-world connections to maintain their engagement and Motivation as math gets more challenging.
This overview is an introduction to this Model. Each LVP Learner Model is a research-driven, holistic representation of all of the critical variables, what we call the Learner Factors, that affect how learners learn. These Factors are the foundation of learner diversity. Scroll up to explore all of the Factors in this model.
To create these Models, we follow a systematic methodology led by our expert LVP researchers. The process is also overseen by an advisory committee of leading content area and learning sciences experts.
Advisory Board for Math 7-9
The following leading researchers supported the development of our Math 7-9 Model and are a source of continued suggestions for improvement.
- Maria Blanton, Ph.D., Senior Scientist, TERC
- Susan Empson, Ph.D., Professor of Learning, Teaching & Curriculum, University of Missouri
- Gerardo Ramirez, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Educational Psychology, Ball State University
- Bethany Rittle-Johnson, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology & Human Development, Vanderbilt University
- Jeremy Roschelle, Ph.D., Executive Director of Learning Sciences Research, Digital Promise Global